Migration steps for the new Vaadin 23 UI

Thank you Konstantin for your suggestion. I’ll then wait for the new version to migrate from CUBA so that I don’t have to deal with such impact management twice.

Hi @krivopustov ,

Hope everything about next version of Studio and Framework goes well .
I have two questions about Vaadin Flow:

• I know the UI components of Vaadin Flow are mobile-friendly. Is there any supports for mobile UI in Studio, what can I expected ?
  • Is there a conclusion for possibility of using both UI in a project?

Regards,
Ray

Hi Ray,

Yes, we are going to deliver the preview version of Flow UI (it’s now official name of the new UI module) in Jmix 1.3 this June.

Do you mean choosing different canvas dimensions in Studio visual designer? It’s on our todo list.

Unfortunately it turned out to be very difficult, so we postponed further investigation to a later stage.

Regards,
Konstantin

2 Likes

Hi Konstantin,

Tanks for your answers.

Yes, exactly! Looking forward to next version.

Regards,
Ray

Can’t see any tickets for vaadin 23 here: Release 1.3 · GitHub - does that mean delivery of preview version of Flow UI has been delayed?

Hello @klaus, I see that it’s included in the backlog.

Oh right, thank you! :slight_smile:

EDIT: But my question from before is actually still valid, because it’s still in the backlog and 1.3 is scheduled for June - so, this month. :wink:

This issue is actually in progress, you can find quite a lot of linked commits inside. The backlog status is a little fluctuation in our dev process.

So you will definitely see the Flow UI preview in v.1.3 this month.

3 Likes

Ok, awesome, I’m super excited. :slight_smile: So is it already possible to start migrating to Vaadin 23 with Jmix 1.3?

1 Like

https://docs.jmix.io/jmix/1.3/whats-new/index.html#flow-ui

Alright! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not so fast, please :slight_smile:
There is a lot to be done to make the Flow UI comparable in features with the current Vaadin 8 UI and stable enough.

In the upcoming months, we are going to improve the Flow UI module and its support in Studio with each 1.3.x patch release. There will be a lot of backward incompatible changes in this module.

The purpose of the preview is to give an idea of how it will look, and to start getting feedback to prioritize the further development. It’s also an important milestone for the Jmix team.

We’ll be happy to hear your thoughts about what should be implemeted/fixed first!

2 Likes

@krivopustov I think the most important features missing right now are:

:wink: Without those, it’s really hard to customize (or try to customize) the view.

I learned a lot of the CUBA framework by just exploring what I can inject and what I can generate a handler for.

1 Like

Sure, it’s on the way.

1 Like

I hope the release of stable version of jmix Flow UI is upcoming in a next couple of weeks. Any updates will be appreciated.

Is there already and ETA for Jmix 1.4? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I often think about the same question, and then I check here Release 1.4 · GitHub
From what I can see, they are doing the development responsibly and not hiding bugs. There is still time to release 1.4 this month, although I hope they don’t roll-out just because of the target month.
1.4 is a very important release because of the Flow UI and it has to be done right.

Hi guys,

We are going to build a release candidate approximately in a week, and the final release by the end of October.

Unfortunately not everything from the current Release 1.4 project will get there, but the FlowUI core should be fine.

4 Likes

For everyone who is interested in the new flow UI: there is now the 1.4.0-RC1 in the jmix repo :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, we’ll announce it later today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve already saw this. But with multi-tenancy addon is not working yet. My project belongs to multitenancy addon. I read 1.4 docs, and there are few add-ons ready.