Jmix 1.5 blinking cursor, GPU reset, JCEF

After upgrading to 1.5 IntelliJ cursor blinks constantly, IntelliJ error log shows “too many GPU resets, JCEF”.
I tried turning off JCEF but JMIX screen designer depends on it.
I also tried IntelliJ VM options -Dide.browser.jcef.gpu.disable=true also no help.

This happens on to two separate Windows PCs.
Note: This pretty much makes IntelliJ unusable.

Can I get an update to this issue?

Hi

Could you please provide your environment details? Jmix plugin, IntelliJ IDEA, Windows versions.
Please also attach idea.log file.

|Edition|Windows 11 Pro|
|Version|22H2|
|Installed on|‎2/‎17/‎2023|
|OS build|22621.1413|
|Experience|Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0|

JMIX Latest version

idea.log (534.7 KB)

IntelliJ IDEA 2023.1 (Ultimate Edition)
Build #IU-231.8109.175, built on March 28, 2023
Licensed to Fred Zimmerman
Subscription is active until February 18, 2024.
Runtime version: 17.0.6+10-b829.5 amd64
VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o.
Windows 11.0
GC: G1 Young Generation, G1 Old Generation
Memory: 2048M
Cores: 12
Registry:
ide.browser.jcef.gpu.disable=true

Non-Bundled Plugins:
com.haulmont.jpab (2023.1.3-231)
io.jmix.studio (1.5.1-231)
com.microsoft.tooling.msservices.intellij.azure (3.75.0-2023.1)

Kotlin: 231-1.8.20-IJ8109.175

Thank you.

Unfortunately I can’t find the error you mentioned: "too many GPU resets, JCEF” in the idea.log file.
Could you please provide more details abouth the issue you faced? What do you describe as “cursor blinks constantly”. Screenshots and screencasts can be helpful. Does this behavior depends on the file/project opened? Does it help if you disable Jmix plugin?

After opening IntelliJ ( and the project indexing completes) the cursor starts blinks rapidly with the blue circle or hour glass, even when moving off the IntelliJ window. See screen shot of IntelliJ error popup. Does this on two separate windows PC but sharing the same JMIX project. If I disable the JMIX plugin it stops.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 075657

I am seeing this in the IntelliJ log (have no VM settings except memory at this point); Does this match your settings? I’m not sure what registry the ide.gpu.enabled=false is coming from.

2023-04-07 08:18:51,407 [ 70147] INFO - #c.i.u.j.JBCefApp - JCEF-sandbox is enabled
2023-04-07 08:18:51,425 [ 70165] INFO - #c.i.u.j.JBCefApp - jcef version: 104.4.26.633.0bc64e4cd9c16c88d2a0eb09dd792cbd2a0f13c6 | cmd args: [–disable-features=SpareRendererForSitePerProcess, --disable-gpu, --disable-gpu-compositing, --disable-gpu-process-crash-limit]
2023-04-07 08:18:51,517 [ 70257] INFO - STDOUT - JCEF(18:51:517): initialized stderr logger, severity=LOGSEVERITY_DISABLE

Also note the JMIX designer screens are blank.

Hi

Registry value “ide.browser.jcef.gpu.disable” was set when you clicked “Disable GPU and restart” on error notification I guess. You can manage it in Registry window that can be opened using global search in IDE. (Shift + Shift → type “Registry”)

As we can see you have faced some internal JCEF issue that we can’t reproduce. JCEF is Intellij IDEA embedded browser that is used in Jmix screen designers. (Classic UI and Flow UI). Which type of UI is used in the project you have mentioned?

Please add -Dide.browser.jcef.log.level=verbose to the Custom VM options. This should create jcef_.log file in the system disc root (not sure for Windows) after JCEF browser first usage, e.g. in Jmix Screen designer.
Please add the following lines to the Custom Debug Log Configuration (Help → Diagnostic Tools → Debug Log Settings…)
#com.haulmont.jmixstudio
#com.intellij.ui.jcef
After this setup please open Jmix project, open Screen designer and attach jcef_.log file and the whole IDEA log folder.

Also JCEF browser used by Markdown plugin that is bundled with IDE. Could you please try to open any .md file preview with disabled Jmix plugin?
Another case is non-Jmix project with Jmix plugin enabled. Does the issue persist in this case?

Thank you

So after I found the Registry in IntelliJ (based on your help), I figured it must be one of those jcef settings. And I my first guess was correct. I turned off the SandBox setting.

ide.browser.jcef.sandbox.enable=false

fixed it.
BTW This issue did not impact non-JMIX projects.

I have run into the same GPU Issue.
Your suggestion seems to have fixed it.

Jmix 2.1.3-233

Thanks