Possible dashboard availability besides the Superset add-on

Hi,

Besides the Superset add-on is there any other dashboard solution planned, which does not require separate software to be operated apart from the Jmix application, but is fully integrated?

I only ask because the Jmix applications developed by us will be operated by our customers on their own infrastructure, we currently do not plan to provide SaaS services. Unfortunately, in many cases our customers do not have the appropriate IT background for proper operation, and if this is the final solution regarding the dashboard availability, we must calculate accordingly by providing additional customer support resources.

Thanks,
Peter

Hello,

regarding the plans for the future, I will leave the Jmix team to answer but would like to share a few thoughts.
Atm, for a dashboard, I use the charts add-on on a dashboard view I made, with some buttons and filter drop-downs, because for this product I do not yet need a heavyweight solution such as Apache superset. After all, on the surface it looks the same - it’s a view with some charts.
Some developers need more because their customers need more - either because of the features, the amount of data processed, or a BI solution.
If a customer wants such a solution, e.g. BI where they can query the data, then they have a BI analyst that can do that for them, or they pay, for example, you.
Superset is good because it’s Apache, known, and it’s free. From that standpoint your customer doesn’t need to pay for example Crystal Reports BI or SAP, and you can offer that competitively to low and mid-tier customers, but there are costs of producing and maintaining the queries and reports.
That’s also good for you because you can have a revenue stream, probably included in the maintenance contract, perhaps with some maximum limits per month set without additional fees.
If they can’t operate it/spend additional resources, but there is a need for it, then well you can do your best to make several “static” queries and displays for them, but that’s it.

Kind regards,
Mladen

Hi Mladen,

thank you for writing your insights on the topic. I completely agree with everything you wrote, there are indeed several solutions. We are currently starting with the Charts add-on, so far it meets our needs. With the evolvement of our Jmix app and the unique needs of our future customers, we may need a more complex BI tool in the future, so we would like to assess the possibilities. Of course, we can see it as an extra source of income, but in this case we must prepare to have the right human resources to perform these tasks. The use of Superset requires specialized knowledge (e.g. SQL), even to create a simple dashboard, which the end users of our software do not have. That is why we are interested in whether the Jmix team is planning a more „user-friendly” Dashboard solution or whether Superset will be the final one.

Thanks,
Peter